Sunday, September 18, 2011

Falling for fall

Although we officially have five more days to go, I'm going to jump the gun and call it: Autumn is Here. The nights are cold, the mornings are chilly (and in many parts of this world, frosty!), and the days are clear and bright. As Stuart McLean said today on the Vinyl Cafe, the sky is a different kind of blue now than it is in July and August.

What better way to kick off our first fall weekend than with a visit to the local apple orchard:



The sunflowers welcomed us as though we were royalty





Her Highness was all too willing to oblige





The bees were busy this weekend - they know the end is near





A curious little elf hid amongst the towering flowers...






 But emerged to bite into every apple she could find - whether they be on the ground or in the trees





"How do you like them apples!?"






 A warm dinner of curried carrot soup - thanks to the sweet roots we had growing in our garden this year





 And freshly baked whole wheat bread, with flour from Castor River Farm






To finish off, a salad with garden tomatoes and local purple kale


We've been inspired here at The Tweet by two books (one I have just finished, and the other I have my nose in as much as I can): Life in the Bush, by Roy MacGregor, and Animal-Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. Hence the focus on local food today - but more on these exceptional books another time.

To bed I go, and hoping for dreams as vivid as the fall colours.

1 comment:

  1. I love September - my favourite month of the year. The harvest is such a great gift - and its great to see people who appreciate it. Now that frost has hit, I'm already planning for April!

    I feel like making carrot soup and baking bread now...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and emails, as most bloggers do! You can reach me by clicking on my "about me" page and sending me an email, or leave me a note below a post and I'll be sure to get back to you!