Thursday, January 13, 2011

Love the face in your mirror

Here is me with my hair recently lopped off:

The most exciting part about this is that I've found THE ONE. No, not my soul mate (I've already found him - he's been around for quite some time now). I mean THE ONE - the hair stylist I've been searching for for 8 years.

I'm not a hair person. I'm not really a makeup, or jewellery, or accessory person either. My friends can attest to the fact that I've been known to wear t-shirts with dogs on the front. I rarely buy new clothes, and I think I still have some items hanging around from high school (that was over 10 years ago).

It's not like I go to work looking like a slob or anything, but on my days off, you can usually find me in very old (saggy) jeans, a t-shirt and some kind of sweater. I'm the sweater girl.

So the fact that I've recently become interested in how my hair looks is a huge step forward for me. As I mentioned in my last post, I used to have fairly nice, curly hair. It was easy to manage - I never bothered straightening it. But since having a baby, I've lost most of it down the drain, and it's become very long, heavy and dry.

When I was living in St. Catharines, Ontario during university, I found an amazing hair stylist just down the street from my house. I walked in for a cut one day, and came out looking like I was ready for the red carpet. Since that time, I've gone from salon to salon, never being totally satisfied with how my hair was either cut or styled. Stylists tend to get excited when they cut my hair because they look forward to straightening it for me. They seem to think that I might enjoy straight hair because I never do it for myself.

The problem is that I look really funny with straight hair. My nose seems to stick out on my face, and I never receive any compliments about it. My husband hates when I come home with straight hair! And other than loving the feeling of it being soft and silky smooth, I'm not too partial to it either. I have a strong belief that people look the best when they go "natural." That doesn't mean that you can't shape or style your hair, but that you shouldn't try to change the natural texture (curly, wavy, straight etc.) I do sympathize with those with frizzy hair though, because I deal with that on a regular basis!

It's hard finding time to take care of yourself in our busy world. A lot of women I know would rather take a nap than worry about their hair, face, nails, or clothes. And that's ok! But when you find yourself down in the dumps, a trip to the salon can be the best thing going. I was joking with the stylist that although I'm committed to buying only natural makeup products and organic soaps, I seem to throw my ideals out the window when it comes to a day at the spa. Mousse scented like vanilla? Slather that stuff on! Nail polish that could kill a cat with its fumes? Apply away! I'm very guilty of contradicting my beliefs when it comes to brightening my day.

So feeling like a million bucks, I'm off to Peterborough tomorrow to visit the family. Will post again soon!

For the days when I have no money to spend on the salon, I like to listen to this song by Jann Arden and appreciate my life as it is, hair or no hair:

I've got money in my pocket,
I like the color of my hair.
I've got a friend who loves me,
Got a house, I've got a car.
I've got a good mother,
and her voice is what keeps me here.

Feet on ground,
Heart in hand,
Facing forward,
Be yourself.
I've never wanted anything.
No I've, no I've, I've never wanted anything,
so bad..(so bad).

Cardboard masks of all the people I've been
Thrown out, with all the rusted, tangled
dented God Damned miseries!!
You could say I'm hard to hold,
But if you knew me you'd know,
I've got a good father,
And his strength is what makes me cry.

Feet on ground,
Heart in hand,
Facing forward,
Be yourself.
I've never wanted anything,
No I've, no I've, I've never
wanted anything so bad..(so bad).

I've got money in my pockets,
I like the color of my hair.
I've got a friend who loves me,
Got a house, I've got a car.
I've got a good mother,
and her voice is what keeps me here.

Feet on ground,
Heart in hand,
Facing forward,
Be yourself.

Heart in hand,
Feet on ground,
Facing forward,
Be yourself.
just be yourself.
just be yourself.

3 comments:

  1. Oh lord can I relate!!! If I don't know of a good sylist, I just won't cut my hair...I can't deal with the disappointment of a bad hair cut.
    It's so true...a good haircut can just make you feel SO good about yourself...you look fantastic by the way! Thanks for joining in!
    xo maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maureen...love reading your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! You look much brighter now, too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and emails, as most bloggers do! You can reach me by clicking on my "about me" page and sending me an email, or leave me a note below a post and I'll be sure to get back to you!