Friday, July 23, 2010

A Song

When I started my blog, I was determined to link every post with a song that has inspired me (or, perhaps even annoyed me!) However, I've realized that sometimes I might just want to share a song that really has nothing at all to do with the subject of my post. Or, like today, maybe I have nothing interesting to say, and would just like to share a song.

It's hard conveying the beauty of music without actually playing it, but I can only hope that as you read the lyrics, you are listening to the melody in your head and maybe even singing along. For more obscure songs or artists that I mention here, I hope that you can find the time to download the tune, or even give it a listen to on YouTube!

Nico was a German born singer/songwriter, model and actress, probably best known for her collaborations with both Velvet Underground and Andy Warhol (among many other artists). When I play her songs for people, they're not usually as impressed as I am. Nico's voice is quite deep - almost like a man's voice with a feminine flare. She doesn't sing particularly in tune either. But to me, her sound is evocative, haunting and soothing. Her lyrics speak to me in a familiar way, and I can always identify with her words.

Here is one song off the soundtrack from the movie The Royal Tenenbaums, which is where I first heard Nico (funny thing, but I discover most artists through movie soundtracks!)

Now that it's time
Now that the hour hand has landed at the end
Now that it's real
Now that the dreams have given all they had to lend
I want to know do I stay or do I go
And maybe try another time
And do I really have a hand in my forgetting ?

Now that I've tried
Now that I've finally found that this is not the way,
Now that I turn
Now that I feel it's time to spend the night away
I want to know do I stay or do I go
And maybe finally split the rhyme
And do I really understand the undernetting ?

Yes and the morning has me
Looking in your eyes
And seeing mine warning me
To read the signs carefully.

Now that it's light
Now that the candle's falling smaller in my mind
Now that it's here
Now that I'm almost not so very far behind
I want to know do I stay or do I go
And maybe follow another sign
And do I really have a song that I can ride on ?

Now that I can
Now that it's easy, ever easy all around.
Now that I'm here
Now that I'm falling to the sunlights and a song
I want to know do I stay or do I go
And do I have to do just one
And can I choose again if I should lose the reason ?

Yes, and the morning
Has me looking in your eyes
And seeing mine warning me
To read the signs more carefully.

Now that I smile,
Now that I'm laughing even deeper inside.
Now that I see,
Now that I finally found the one thing I denied
It's now I know do I stay or do I go
And it is finally I decide
That I'll be leaving
In the fairest of the seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and emails, as most bloggers do! You can reach me by clicking on my "about me" page and sending me an email, or leave me a note below a post and I'll be sure to get back to you!